Skip to main content

Be Careful What You Pray For

“God, I pray this trip takes me out of my comfort zone…” 


                        This was my every day prayer leading up to the trip, but two seconds on the work site I realized I prayed a very dangerous prayer.  I was hoping for painting, because hey I did that last year and it was fun. Maybe cleaning up a yard- or building something? More like- shingling a roof.  The site leader was calling for a few people to help up top- but when no hands shot up, I decided to (as many leaders do) step up and say yes.  On my way up the  ladder, all I could think about was “What in the world am I doing…” As I heard the leader say, “If you are scared of height’s please don’t come up.”  Too late, I was already half way up and was not about to go down the ladder.  A week later I was known as the runner, because the best part was running up and down the ladder.  Funny how God works. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to CLING

At first I gave my life to God during a time of deep grief.  I needed a reason to believe there was something bigger and stronger than the pain I was feeling. As time went on I continued in my "faith."  When times were good I praised Him. In times of pain I questioned him, yet I never truly felt the same as the night I first surrendered to Him. It seemed through the ups and downs I began to slowly drift away. It wasn't util I stepped out of my comfort zone and saw how others all around the world were worshipping the same God that I began to question my faith.  My seemingly solid faith. It seemed their priorities were every different than mine. When I struggled to go to church once a week, they managed to go every night. When we were called to open our bibles, I flipped to the table of contents while others were already finished reciting the verse.  Their commitment was far greater than mine.  Their willingness to surrender came with willing hearts. How ...

Finding my Faith

“Follow your heart”, “Just do what you think is right” are two common themes young millennials pass around today.  How many Christians do you know who show up to church on Sunday’s, after a week full of slandering words, deceitful lies or nights of partying?  Our relationship with Christ becomes merely a check off box, an act of going with the motions.   As inviting as the “Follow your heart message” is it can be devastating to our spiritual lives. Our salvation comes from our faith, not our feelings (Ephesians 2:8).  Feelings & emotions are inconsistent, continuously changing due to the tides of circumstances around us.  Before we even realize it we become victims to our own thoughts which often lead us to making ungodly, unwise, self-centered decisions.  Instead of dying to self, and surrendering daily we spend our time trying to desperately control our failings, fighting for the next fleeting pleasure. Maybe we do set a day, cup of coffee in...

A God of Grace

            Life has a way of becoming at times over bearing. Between essays, work hours, and times of trials it may be very hard to see the good in situations.  We may cry out to God in these times, questioning how long this pain will last, and what tomorrow may bring.  Jesus said, "The one who endures to the end will be saved." (Mark 13:13)  Peter promises the tired and broken hearted Christians, "And after you have suffered a little while, the God of grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself, restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." (1 Peter 5:10)            It is assured in the Bible that God will not cause us to fight these hardships of life longer than we can endure.  Though at times the weight of the world feels heavy upon on shoulders, God is there is there to remind us always that He is the God of all grace, peace and mercy.  It is said, "Through many t...