Skip to main content

Washington vs. Whittier middle School

             The girls were anxious to begin the trip, but now as the first night comes to a close it's widely known that everyone is exhausted.  Red in the face (from the sun of course), grumpy by all mean and just plain tired.  Getting accustomed to a new area is always difficult, but with the humid heat and little experience in the area, maps of all colors became our new best friend.  Water bottles in hand, pins hanging from all the girls necks and the race was on.  Here at NHD boys and girls all over the world find common ground very quickly when it comes first to their passion of history and second get as many new pins from as many new places as possible.  Kids literally sigh when they realize the state you're from is already shown on their cord.  



            The speaker was amazing; a former NHD contestant herself she knew the drills; from research to traveling tips.  Yet as soon as she spoke the girls attested to feeling goose bumps from her positive words and aspirations.  Of the 600,000 contestants who originally competed the crowd there that night made up 2,900 .05% of those who had the same dream as they did. Whether or not these girls pass first round and continue on and the big scheme of competition doesn't take away from how far they have traveled. If the girls somewhere between the bad landing and one too many metro rides had lost grip of what brought them here they were soon reminded.  The girls are revved up and ready to speak up for their soft and hidden topics.  Raising a voice for issues that need to be brought back into light is why these girls are here. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to CLING

At first I gave my life to God during a time of deep grief.  I needed a reason to believe there was something bigger and stronger than the pain I was feeling. As time went on I continued in my "faith."  When times were good I praised Him. In times of pain I questioned him, yet I never truly felt the same as the night I first surrendered to Him. It seemed through the ups and downs I began to slowly drift away. It wasn't util I stepped out of my comfort zone and saw how others all around the world were worshipping the same God that I began to question my faith.  My seemingly solid faith. It seemed their priorities were every different than mine. When I struggled to go to church once a week, they managed to go every night. When we were called to open our bibles, I flipped to the table of contents while others were already finished reciting the verse.  Their commitment was far greater than mine.  Their willingness to surrender came with willing hearts. How ...

Finding my Faith

“Follow your heart”, “Just do what you think is right” are two common themes young millennials pass around today.  How many Christians do you know who show up to church on Sunday’s, after a week full of slandering words, deceitful lies or nights of partying?  Our relationship with Christ becomes merely a check off box, an act of going with the motions.   As inviting as the “Follow your heart message” is it can be devastating to our spiritual lives. Our salvation comes from our faith, not our feelings (Ephesians 2:8).  Feelings & emotions are inconsistent, continuously changing due to the tides of circumstances around us.  Before we even realize it we become victims to our own thoughts which often lead us to making ungodly, unwise, self-centered decisions.  Instead of dying to self, and surrendering daily we spend our time trying to desperately control our failings, fighting for the next fleeting pleasure. Maybe we do set a day, cup of coffee in...

A God of Grace

            Life has a way of becoming at times over bearing. Between essays, work hours, and times of trials it may be very hard to see the good in situations.  We may cry out to God in these times, questioning how long this pain will last, and what tomorrow may bring.  Jesus said, "The one who endures to the end will be saved." (Mark 13:13)  Peter promises the tired and broken hearted Christians, "And after you have suffered a little while, the God of grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself, restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." (1 Peter 5:10)            It is assured in the Bible that God will not cause us to fight these hardships of life longer than we can endure.  Though at times the weight of the world feels heavy upon on shoulders, God is there is there to remind us always that He is the God of all grace, peace and mercy.  It is said, "Through many t...